1/1 Photo of Asian-Style Baked Onions, Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes
1 hr 15 mins
Great dish with rice. For the carnivores also goes well with beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon sichuan pepper (or dry green or black peppercorns)
- 1 teaspoon kalonji (black onion seeds , aka nigella)
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large Spanish onions, peeled
- 3 large potatoes, such as Desiree, unpeeled
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7/fan oven 200°C
- 2Combine all the spices and salt in a small, electric spice or coffee grinder (or use a pestle and mortar), and pulverise them to a powder - ignore the bigger bits of coriander husk.
- 3Tip the ground spices into a very large mixing bowl.
- 4Cut the onions into sixths, leaving a little root attached to hold the layers together.
- 5Cut the ordinary potatoes into six segments, length ways.
- 6If the sweet potatoes are slender (they normally are) cut them into quarters, length ways; if they're bulky round the middle, cut them into sixths.
- 7Put all the vegetables into the mixing bowl.
- 8add the oil and toss thoroughly, using clean hands.
- 9Lightly oil the large tray which comes with your oven (or 1 or 2 baking trays)
- 10Spread the vegetables out in a single layer and bake them for 25 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients in a small jug with 4 tablespoons cold water.
- 12Remove the oven tray; brush the vegetables with the glaze and continue to bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until they're slightly charred and tender.
- 13A little squeeze of lime or lemon juice adds vivacity, but the vegetables are very nice with or without it.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian-Style Baked Onions, Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.5
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 565.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: