Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Plain old egg salad goes upscale with the addition of bacon, chopped olives and Dijon mustard. 8 minute cook time is for the bacon.
- Saute bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Cut bacon slices crosswise in half.
- Combine chopped eggs, celery, and olives in bowl.
- Mix in 1/4 cup mayonnaise and mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place toast slices on work surface; spread lightly with remaining mayonnaise.
- Divide egg salad among 6 toast slices.
- Place 4 bacon pieces, then 2 lettuce leaves atop egg salad on each.
- Cover with remaining toast slices, mayonnaise side down.
- Cut sandwiches diagonally in half.
Delicious!! I made two changes: I reduced the mayo to only what was in the mix (using light mayo), opting NOT to spread any additional on the bread slices. And I just had iceberg lettuce on hand, instead of the red leaf. This was crunchy, flavorful and just a delicious egg salad that was even better the next day. I love the crunch of the celery & the salty bite of the olives. I think I'll add a little diced onion next time. Thanks!
The recipe title is indeed true! This recipe takes the lowly egg salad sandwich to new levels. I personally am not a big egg salad fan, but an excess of boiled eggs left over from Easter sent me searching for a way to use them. This recipe definitely changed my attitude about egg salad. What a great combination of flavors! Thanks for sharing.