Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Whizbang Cafe - owner Tommy Sanford, chef Gary Smith
Make and share this Calypso Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 24 large shrimp
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3⁄4 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 cup Coco Lopez (this is a coconut liquer that you can get in the liquor store)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Saute garlic and ginger in butter for one minute, add remaining ingredients.
- Add shrimp cook till firm and pink in color.
- Arrange shrimp over rice pour over sauce reduction.
Delicous way to prepare shrimp but I also made a few minor changes. I didn't have any curry paste so just used the same amount of curry powder and I didn't have any Coco Lopez so used the same amount of Coconut Milk. Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having again soon.
first, lets establish that coco lopez is not a liquor, it is a sweetened thick coconut mix in a can used to make pina coladas. i didn't have tamarind paste but i had tamarind necter so i thought i'd boil it down to thicken. i also threw in some coconut rum in case that was supposed to be used. in the end i had alot of sauce so i added half a pound of scallops. the sauce had a nice sweet/hot flavor and i have plenty left which i think will taste great over chicken.