This recipe was inspired by Vicki in AZ's soup and came about as a result of a goof. Added a tad too much chipotle while preparing that dish and had find a way to tame the heat. The results were so good I decided to post it.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pink beans or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- In a large sauce pan or soup pot, cook onion 2 or 3 minutes in oil; add water and garlic cooking an additional minute.
- Stir in paprika and oregano into the onions; add chicken, cook until done.
- Add chicken broth, chipotles, tomatoes, corn, beans and chipotles.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice and heating through 1 minute.
- Add salt to taste.