Nothing healthy about this dish at all but it is good, hearty comfort food on a cold winter's day. Based on package size of Uncle Ben's rice mix. If using another brand you may need more than two packages. Use Velveeta-type cheese. Serve with chicken or pork.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (6 ounce) packages long grain and wild rice blend, Uncle Bens (with seasoning packets)
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 lb process American cheese, cubed
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot; stir throughly.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours (on high setting for 2 to 3 1/2 hours).
This was very good. I love anything I can throw into a crock pot, forget about, then eat later. I followed the recipe as directed except I used Lundberg Organic Wild Rice mix instead of Uncle Ben's rice mix. Also, I used low-sodium, free-range chicken broth instead of water. This wasn't as cheesy as I was expecting, more creamy (which is fine, just not what I was expecting when I was putting all of the ingredients into the crock pot). I cooked on high for 3/12 hours. Made for Photo Tag, 1/22/09 - NELady.