These delicious, tender biscuits have alot of flavour and a little heat. They are wonderful with any meal. Seriously, try them...you'll see.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup old nippy cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon paprika (for sprinkling)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Dissolve yeast in 2 tbsps of warm water.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, garlic powder and salt.
- Cut in butter, until well blended.
- Next, lightly stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture.
- Now add the shredded cheese, finely chopped onions and minced peppers.
- Beat well.
- On a lightly floured board knead until a smooth dough forms. If you need to add more flour, please do so (1/2 cup).
- Then roll dough 1/2 thick and cut into two inch squares.
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Finally, sprinkle with paprika and dried thyme.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10- 12 minutes or until golden brown.
WOW! These little slabs were incredible! All three of us loved them--even my 5yo DS! The jalapeno I used was not very hot, so the final product wasn't all that hot--but it was chock-full of fabulous flavor! It wasn't much more difficult to make than biscuits, although I did have a bit of trouble working the cheese mixture into the dough (it kneaded in pretty nicely, though). The three of us ate about half the batch--we just couldn't stop! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Baby Kato--DH has already told me this will be a frequent request! Made for Market tag game.
Yummy, quick and relatively easy. Even a beginner could make these. We loved them and used some of them under sausage gravy. I'll be making these again! Thanks, Baby Kato! Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2009.
These are very tasty. Loved the addition of the jalapeno peppers. Made this in the KA and that worked well. Will be making these again. Thanks BK Made for Zaar Stars.