Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I really enjoy falafel but I haven't had it since I started my weight loss 'journey' because when I get it at a takeaway shop I am never sure how they made it and how much oil has gone into frying it, etc. So, when I saw this recipe in the Autumn 2008 copy of BBC Easy Cook magazine, I decided to put it here so that I can learn to make my own.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- oil, for brushing
- 6 pita breads
- 1 head lettuce
- 1⁄2 cucumber, sliced
- Turn the grill/broiler to medium.
- Tip the chickpeas into a food processor or blender with the onion, carrots, garlic, cilantro, cumin, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Whizz briefly so that you retain some of the chunky texture to the chickpeas.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into six burgers.
- Brush both sides of each burger with a little oil.
- Carefully place the burgers on to a grill/broiler pan lined with foil and grill/broil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, toast the pita breads and tear the lettuce into strips.
- Stuff the hot burgers into the pita breads.
- Add a small handful of torn lettuce and a few slices of cucumber.
- Serve drizzled with a spoonful of yogurt, if you wish.
The mixture turned out way too wet, even though I tried to make sure not to over-process. I left it sit in a sieve for a couple of hours, but it was still too wet to do anything with. I had to trash it all.
Thanks so much for posting this Sarah Jayne!! My boyfriend and I love falafel but much like you have committed to eating healthy and we also cook all our meals at home. I was really scared when I started putting things in the blender but I had spaghetti as a back up plan! However, this came out great. It had the same great true falafel taste. We ate this in whole wheat pita with some shredded lettuce and yogurt with a little lemon. I would have never thought of making my own healthier falafel if I hadn't come across your posting. Thanks!!
This was great! I made a yogurt, lemon and cucumber sauce to go with this (1 cup yogurt, 2 tbls lemon juice, 1/2 cup of cucumber chopped and a bit of wasabi) and it was simply delicious!