I really enjoy falafel but I haven't had it since I started my weight loss 'journey' because when I get it at a takeaway shop I am never sure how they made it and how much oil has gone into frying it, etc. So, when I saw this recipe in the Autumn 2008 copy of BBC Easy Cook magazine, I decided to put it here so that I can learn to make my own.
- Turn the grill/broiler to medium.
- Tip the chickpeas into a food processor or blender with the onion, carrots, garlic, cilantro, cumin, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Whizz briefly so that you retain some of the chunky texture to the chickpeas.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into six burgers.
- Brush both sides of each burger with a little oil.
- Carefully place the burgers on to a grill/broiler pan lined with foil and grill/broil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, toast the pita breads and tear the lettuce into strips.
- Stuff the hot burgers into the pita breads.
- Add a small handful of torn lettuce and a few slices of cucumber.
- Serve drizzled with a spoonful of yogurt, if you wish.