Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I recently purchased the new Hungry Girl Cookbook and this is one of the recipes that I definitely want to try. Here is what the book says: "Heads up! This one is super-spicy!"
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, shredded
- 1 cup diced tomato, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup sweet whole kernel corn, canned
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 baked corn tortilla chips, crushed
- cilantro (optional)
- nonfat sour cream (optional)
- fat-free cheese (optional) or low-fat cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray, cook onions, garlic, seasoning and spices over medium heat until onions soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and diced tomatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, jalapeno and lime juice. Stir for 2 to 3 minutes to thoroughly blend flavors.
- Once ready to serve, top each serving with crushed chips and, if desired, the optional toppings.
Love it!Did not have a jalapeno or whole kernel corn,I added a can of ro=tel instead of tomatos and cream corn.I love the flavor of masa and had a can of hominy that I had from our mexican market.I only added 1 cup.This I am sure is really good without the changes made but we both love it.We are on a diet so used a serving of oyster crackers in place of tortillas.We had low calorie pizza and a cup of this soup for dinner,could have and should have had just the soup.It is filling and so good on this snowy night.Has just the right kick for DH and I.Thank you for the recipe for our new comfort food.Next time will try a small block of lite velveeta.