My wife and I went to the Grand Lido Braco resort in Jamaica and as soon as we arrived to the property, the first thing I wanted to do was to eat some Jamaican food. They brought out some Jamaican Pumpkin Soup and it was great. Then, it was onto the Jerk Chicken w/ Rice & Peas. But that's for another time...Here's the soup.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄3 lbs pumpkin (peeled and cut into medium to large diced pieces)
- 2 1⁄4 quarts chicken stock (slightly over 1/2 gallon) or 2 1⁄4 quarts vegetable stock (slightly over 1/2 gallon)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 sprigs scallions (cut thin)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- Sauté onions in butter in a large pot until transparent.
- Add pumpkin and fill with stock.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to boil
- (Put Scotch Bonnet Pepper in Whole).
- Simmer for about half an hour or to desired consistency.
- Remove Scotch bonnet pepper and serve hot.