1 hr 30 mins
Pierogi with garlic, mushroom & sauerkraut filling
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 ounces sauerkraut, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 lb bacon or 1/2 lb pork or 1/2 lb beef, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1Fry meat to desired doneness and set aside.
- 2Mix remaining filling ingredients and fry for about five minutes.
- 3Combine mixture with meat and refrigerate until ready to assemble pierogi.
- 4Combine the ingredients listed under dough and knead until well blended (dough should be somewhat dry and about the consistency of play-doh, you can knead in more flour if needed).
- 5Twist off workable portions of dough and roll out very thin on a floured surface.
- 6Using a glass with a thin lip and a diameter of about 3.
- 75 inches, dip lip of glass in flour and cut circles out of the dough.
- 8Place about 2 tsp filling in the center of each dough circle.
- 9Moisten outer edges with water and fold dough over to close.
- 10Seal edges by pressing gently with the back of a fork or pinching together with your fingers.
- 11Cook 12 pierogi at a time, reducing heat to a gentle boil; boil, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking to the bottom, until pierogi float to the surface (about 5 minutes).
- 12Rinse in cold water, then drizzle melted butter or vegetable oil over dough to keep from sticking.
- 13Repeat with remaining pierogi.
- 14At this point you can serve them warm, freeze them for later use, deep fry them until golden brown or pan fry them in butter with onions over medium heat, lightly browning both sides before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Pierogi (Sauerkraut & Meat Filling)
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.7
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 72.1 mg
- Sodium 995.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: