Southern Polar Bear's Note:
This recipe is from Eddie V's Edgewater Grill in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is the original recipe; however, I make a few slight changes to the recipe (to accomodate my personal tastes) when I make it. First, I add a little soy sauce to the vinaigrette to bring out the flavors a little more. Second, I only use 2 Tbsp. of olive oil (instead of the recommended 4 Tbsp.) because I like a chunkier vinaigrette. Third, I chop the cilantro and sprinkle it on top of the fish and salsa. Either way, it is a great recipe and worth having at least once!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon serrano pepper, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, very finely diced
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek chili paste (Asian chili sauce)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 (10 ounce) ahi tuna steaks, sushi quality
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 6 fresh cilantro stems
- 2Combine red pepper, serrano pepper, red onion, vinegar, olive oil, chili sauce and kosher salt to make the vinaigrette.
- 3Mix well and set aside.
- 5Season tuna with salt and pepper.
- 6Sear tuna on a very hot skillet with olive oil.
- 7Cook to desired doneness (rare if preferable).
- 8Prepare the salsa while the fish is cooking.
- 10Dice the avocado into 1" cubes.
- 11Dice the tomatoes.
- 12Mix the tomato and avocado together.
- 13Serving Recommendation.
- 14Place fish on serving dish.
- 15Top with diced avocado and tomato.
- 16Splash liberally with vinaigrette.
- 17Garnish with cilantro.
- 18Serve immediately.
- 20Again, I like to add a little soy sauce to the vinaigrette to give the flavors a little more punch, I only use 2 tablespoons olive oil in the vinaigrette to make it more bulky, and I like to garnish the fish with chopped cilantro instead of sprigs.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seared Tuna Steak With Avocado Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 821.4
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 107.6 mg
- Sodium 196.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 68.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
sambal oelek chili paste