From the Deen Bros. cookbook, Y'all Come Eat.
Make and share this Ultra Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened, plus additional for coating dish
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces American cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a large pot of water, cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return the macaroni to the pot. Add cheeses to the hot macaroni and stir well; spread in the prepared dish.
- In a mdeium bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup butter, the half-and-half, eggs,sour cream, salt, cayenne pepper (if using), and black pepper. Pour over the macaroni. Bake uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.