Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found this on About.com under Southern foods. I changed the peppers from being stuffed to lining the casserole dish. Sort of a Lazy Stuffed Peppers. I changed the recipe from stuffed pappers to unstuffed. I love the filling for stuffed peppers and the taste the peppers give the filling but not too keen on chomping on the peppers themselves.
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (seasoned salt can be used)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 -14 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 4 slices of raw bacon (or more)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (SEE NOTE)
- You can use any combo of the following to suit your tastes = sauce, paste and diced(undrained) tomatoes,.
- Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and membranes, and cut each pepper into 4 to 8 pieces.
- Cook peppers in simmering water to cover for 5 minutes.
- Brown ground beef and onions; pour off excess grease.
- Add seasonings, rice, and corn(if used) and tomato sauce.
- Heat until hot and bubbly.
- Lay the pepper pieces across the bottom of the casserole dish and pile filling on top.
- Place cut off tops on top of filling.
- Add strips of raw bacon on top of that and pour tomato(combo) sauce over.
- Bake stuffed peppers at 350° for 30 minutes.
This is delicious! Couldn't taste the difference from the stuffed peppers. Omitted the bacon, corn and used a jar of spagetti sauce mixed in plus 1/2 a jar on top before putting the pepper tops on instead of the tomato sauce. Plus, I cooked at 300 degrees for 1 hour.
This was so tasty and easier to make. Will definitely save and make in the future.