1 hr 5 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
Found this on About.com under Southern foods. I changed the peppers from being stuffed to lining the casserole dish. Sort of a Lazy Stuffed Peppers. I changed the recipe from stuffed pappers to unstuffed. I love the filling for stuffed peppers and the taste the peppers give the filling but not too keen on chomping on the peppers themselves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 -1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (seasoned salt can be used)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 -14 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 4 slices of raw bacon (or more)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (SEE NOTE)
- 2You can use any combo of the following to suit your tastes = sauce, paste and diced(undrained) tomatoes,.
- 3Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and membranes, and cut each pepper into 4 to 8 pieces.
- 4Cook peppers in simmering water to cover for 5 minutes.
- 5Brown ground beef and onions; pour off excess grease.
- 6Add seasonings, rice, and corn(if used) and tomato sauce.
- 7Heat until hot and bubbly.
- 8Lay the pepper pieces across the bottom of the casserole dish and pile filling on top.
- 9Place cut off tops on top of filling.
- 10Add strips of raw bacon on top of that and pour tomato(combo) sauce over.
- 11Bake stuffed peppers at 350° for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unstuffed Green Pepper Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.7
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 79.1 mg
- Sodium 736.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 27.5 g