Sometimes simple is best. This is a wonderfully old fashioned salad that is very tasty and easy to prepare.
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain (saving drippings) and crumble.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl.
- top with onion, egg, and crumbled bacon.
- In a skillet put bacon drippings, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Heat to boiling.
- Pour over lettuce in bowl and toss.
- Serve immediately.
I lost my recipe for wilted lettuce, and found a new one here. This one includes a hard boiled egg, which my husband loved, good recipe.
An interesting concept of hot salad dressing. It was wonderfully delicious, yet so easy to prepare. I don't like the taste of raw onion, therefore I marinated the sliced onion in the vinegar mixture for a couple minutes. Removed the onion before boiling the mixture. I also used olive oil instead of bacon drippings. I sure will make this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I prepared this according to the directions. It was easy, but a little too salty for my taste. Without the added salt, I think this would be great.