Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sometimes simple is best. This is a wonderfully old fashioned salad that is very tasty and easy to prepare.
- 4 slice bacon
- 59.14 ml cider vinegar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1892.72 ml torn leaf lettuce
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain (saving drippings) and crumble.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl.
- top with onion, egg, and crumbled bacon.
- In a skillet put bacon drippings, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Heat to boiling.
- Pour over lettuce in bowl and toss.
- Serve immediately.
I lost my recipe for wilted lettuce, and found a new one here. This one includes a hard boiled egg, which my husband loved, good recipe.
An interesting concept of hot salad dressing. It was wonderfully delicious, yet so easy to prepare. I don't like the taste of raw onion, therefore I marinated the sliced onion in the vinegar mixture for a couple minutes. Removed the onion before boiling the mixture. I also used olive oil instead of bacon drippings. I sure will make this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I prepared this according to the directions. It was easy, but a little too salty for my taste. Without the added salt, I think this would be great.